Friday 14 January 2011

Anna Calvi

 











"I'm definitely not shy with my music. I think there is a huge sexual element involved. I try to give everything of myself when I play."

My first interview for The Guardian was published today. I talked to guitar virtuoso and gothic chanteuse Anna Calvi about her debut LP and you can read all about it by clicking on the above text.

I've been attending Calvi's London shows sporadically for the last four years; she's shifted her direction, evolved her sound, and remained intense and thrilling. I feel that quiet, indulgent, bystander sense of satisfaction gained when the universe recognizes a desire that is just MEANT to be heard.  I love the way she makes no bones about getting her kicks when she performs. She plays  like she's bypassed all those "rules" about girls and guitars and just TAPPED IN to her instrument, kind of at-one-with-it but still the leader, prima inter pares. She makes me excited about guitar music in a way I haven't felt for a long time.

No comments:

Post a Comment